john jay college offers a variety of special academic and financial support programs. the programs provide a variety of benefits, including academic, financial, personal and post-graduate support. below is a full list of special programs available at john jay college:
ace [accelerate complete engage] at john jay is a comprehensive program designed to help students complete their academic journey to the bachelor’s degree within four years. the program is based on the principles of the cuny accelerated study in associate programs (asap) model which assists students with earning degrees by providing a range of financial, academic and personal supports including intensive academic advisement, career counseling, tuition assistance, and subsidies for textbooks and transportation.
program benefits include:
a free unlimited metrocard monthly (up to $968 per year)
a textbook voucher to reduce the cost of textbooks (up to $500 per year)
a tuition gap waiver (for students in receipt of pell or tap)
a personal advisor and career specialist to guide your progress from entry to graduation
early registration options that help you get the classes you need that also fit your schedule
career development and academic support services
winter/summer course scholarships (up to $1,650 for tuition/fees)
network with faculty and professionals in field of study
graduate school preparation
apple corps program
apple corps program recruits students interested in social justice issues, public service or law enforcement careers and provides them with the opportunity to give back to new york city communities while gaining valuable leadership experiences. apple corps students - enrolled at john jay college or at either of its six cuny justice academy partner campuses - receive academic, professional, and financial assistance during their first two years of undergraduate study to support their academic progress and degree completion.
program benefits include:
- stipend of $20,000 across two years
- partnership with the nypd cadet
- networking with city, state and federal professionals
- experimental learning with highly regarded faculty
the ceeds program (Cadet Education, Empowerment & Development for Success)—a collaboration between john jay college of criminal justice and the NYC Department of Correction—is a one- to two-year program for juniors and seniors that recruits students interested in Law Enforcement, Criminal Justice or Correction Studies and prepares them for future leadership opportunities at the NYC Department of Correction.
ceeds students at john jay college get an early start on a clearly defined career path with academic and financial support, and become the next generation of captains, wardens and chiefs of the largest correctional system in the united states.
program benefits include:
- cadet: open to juniors and seniors interested in law enforcement, criminal justice or correction studies
- education: exclusive academic curriculum, taught by renowned experts in the fields of corrections and law enforcement, and earn up to a $5,000 stipend per semester towards tuition expenses
- empowerment: long-term career track that helps you plan for your future today
- development: customized learning opportunities through on-the-job rotations with senior leaders in the agency, plus formal mentoring assignments
- success: a path to leadership with one of the nation's largest correctional systems
cuny justice academy
the cuny justice academy (cja) is a transfer-focused collaboration that links selected associate degree programs at six city university of new york (cuny) community colleges to baccalaureate degree programs at john jay college of criminal justice.
by enrolling in a degree program of the cuny justice academy, you receive dual admission into one of the six participating cuny community colleges and john jay college of criminal justice. the first 60 credits are taken at a "partner" community college campus, with the final 60 credits taken at john jay.
this means that when you successfully complete the first 60 credits and meet your community college requirements, you not only receive an associate's degree from the partner campus but are rewarded with the option of guaranteed admission to john jay. once at john jay, you will be on track to complete your bachelor's degree.
john jay college honors program
the honors program at john jay college brings together academically talented students who have the potential to become tomorrow’s leaders. working closely with distinguished faculty and advisors in an on-going learning community, students explore the idea of the common good in a sequence of enriched, challenging and interdisciplinary courses. the program emphasizes critical thinking, creativity, and ethical decision-making with attention to global concerns, community responsibility and civic engagement. students participate in hands-on leadership experiences and research projects that address enduring questions of human existence; contemporary questions of social justice, and perspectives from the humanities, social sciences, and sciences. students in the honors program rank in the top 10% of their class at the college, and admission to the program is competitive.
- research with faculty, including participation in community-based research projects
- presentation of student research at national conferences
- specialized academic advisement and faculty mentoring
- on-campus employment
- leadership development
- admission to selected new york premier arts and cultural events
- extensive preparation for graduate school and the professions
- recognition of excellence and accomplishment on transcript/diploma
- potential for scholarships and other funding benefits
macaulay honors program
an outstanding academic record coupled with the ability to lead and achieve at the highest levels distinguish a william e. macaulay honors college student. macaulay students at john jay are selected from among the most highly competitive applicants to the city university of new york. in recognition of their achievements, they are hailed as university scholars when they enter the program.
program benefits include:
- full four-year tuition scholarship
- a state-of-the-art laptop computer
- an opportunities fund for study abroad, internships and other academically enriching experiences. in addition, the macaulay’s cultural passport provides students with special admission to new york city's historical landmarks and artistic and cultural institutions.
taking its mandate from john jay college’s mission, educating for justice, the pre-law institute prepares john jay college students and alumni to successfully enter law school and the legal profession. the pre-law institute supports this movement by crafting academic skill-building programs and professional development initiatives and by emphasizing early and intensive student engagement in developing the analytic and critical writing skills that students will need to perform optimally as law school applicants and as law students.
the program for research initiatives in science and math (prism) at john jay college provides an opportunity for forensic science students to engage in the process of scientific research while completing their degree.
early in the program, students attend seminars and training programs to better prepare them for research. at the beginning of their sophomore year, students are matched with a faculty mentor. our prism mentors work in a variety of research areas – from biochemistry to environmental science, forensic science, molecular biology, and toxicology. every effort is made to match students with advisors working in their particular area of interest.